Monday, March 21, 2011

To an old friend.

I was at Borders today in the kids section, looking for a copy of The Island of the Blue Dolphins, and came across an Alexandra Day book. For those of you who are not aware of who she is, Alexandra Day is well known for her Carl books. Carl is a rottweiler.
The Rottweiler has been the family dog of the Millar family for over 40 years, as I may or may not have stated in my previous post about the Rottweiler papercraft. I didn't even know she was still writing/illustrating these books, and I left the store with it. I sat down to read it tonight, and wept. It made me miss my Heidi, my rottie, my first best friend. I scribbled this picture of her after looking though the book.

It was really exciting for me to be able to write her an email, thanking her for a lifetime of laughs and love with those books. She has truly captured the spirit of man's best friend in Carl, and rekindled the memory of my ol' girl.

Welp, better get out the James Herriot books now. Time for more doggie times and tears.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I thought it was my dog Boo. It looks just like him

    ReplyDelete